The holiday season is upon us, and I don’t know about you but for me its a free pass to consume as much alcohol and chocolate as I physically can. So to make it easier for myself, I decided to combine the two, and make some lip smaking rum balls! These are so good. They are fudgy and chocolatey, and the rum flavor is just the perfect festive addition. These take less than 20 mins to make and you can totally leave out the rum if you want to make a more boring version (but why would you want to!). Or put in whiskey instead, or absolutely any other liquor you feel like. Next time I’m planning to make these with Baileys and call them coffee balls 😀
These also make the perfect holiday gift if you want to impress people with your baking skills. These are quick, simple and fool proof, and they literally don’t involve any baking. You can use a store bought Christmas cake or a plum cake for the cake part of the recipe. I actually baked the chocolate cake that I used this time but I’ve used a regular supermarket bought chocolate cake for these before and they turned out perfect. You can use any basic chocolate cake recipe that you have or any store bought cake or even brownies. The cake recipe that I used will be up on the blog next week! Its my go to simple one bowl chocolate cake that literally takes no time to whip up. Okay so now on to the rum ball recipe!
Ingredients for 12 rum balls:
- One whole chocolate cake
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 90ml dark rum (I used Old Monk)
- 300 gms milk chocolate ( I used two large bars of Dairy Milk Silk)
- Cupcake liners
- Small silver and white beads(edible) and mini chocolate chips for decoration (I bought them at Nilgiri’s supermarket, you can also find them on Amazon)
- Crumble the cake into a large bowl till it reaches a sand like texture. Then pour in the rum and raisins and mix well. Let the mixture soak overnight.
- Once the rum has soaked in, make small ball sized portions of the mixture on a baking tray or plate. The mixture will be sticky at this point don’t worry. Just separate into 12 or as many equal sized portions as you can.
- Cover the tray with cellophane or cling wrap and refrigerate the tray for 10 – 15 minutes, or till they are firm enough to roll.
- Once firm, roll with your palms into small balls and return to the tray and refrigerate.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Take the bowl out after every 30 seconds and stir with a whisk or fork. Do not leave the chocolate in for too long in the microwave or it will burn. Mine took around 3 times i.e 1:30 mins to melt completely. It needs to be a runny consistency so that the cake balls can be coated with it.
- Take the tray with rum balls out of the fridge and roll each ball in the chocolate using two forks. Be careful not to stab the balls 😛 Don’t worry about making them perfect, they are home made and they should look like that!
- Make sure the excess chocolate drips off using a fork and place each chocolate coated ball in a cupcake liner. Decorate with tiny silver beads or mini chocolate chips at this point while the chocolate is still wet.
- Once all the cake balls are coated and decorated, set aside till it sets. The melted chocolate should set on its own as it cools from the melted state, if it does not then refrigerate till it sets. This happens sometimes if you’re making these during summer or its too hot.
- The rum balls are now ready! Serve cold or at room temperature and enjoy!
I’m not sure about the weight of the chocolate cake, but you can see from this picture the approximate size of the cake I used. I would say a regular sized cake that is sold at the super market. This made 12 rum balls. Its wrapped in cling wrap as that helps to keep the cake moist and soft.
Edible cake decorative silver beads and mini chocolate chips. I bought them at Nilgiri’s supermarket, you can also find them at any local supermarket or baking goods store or online at Amazon
Hope you enjoyed the recipe. I love baking and the holidays just give me an excuse to go crazy, so expect lots more recipes soon! If you make these please take pictures and tag us on Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see them!
So whats everyone up to for the holidays? I am off to Goa next week and I cannot wait! We will still be posting lots of stuff on the blog of course. Lots of holiday dresses and recipes to come so make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss anything. Happy Holidays! Till next time 🙂