For the love of coffee, today we’re making the best coffee cupcakes in the world! From the color of these you might assume that there is some chocolate or cocoa powder in the recipe, but you would be absolutely wrong. The rich dark color is all from coffee, coffee and more coffee. These cupcakes are the honestly as good as a strong cup of coffee, actually they are even better!
Like most of my recipes, this is as easy as it gets. Takes 15 minutes to put all the ingredients together and another 15 to bake. And about 5 minutes to eat them all 😀 They are soft, moist and they turn out perfect every time if you just follow the recipe exactly. I’ve made it tons of times, usually I just use whatever frosting I have left over with them. Like coffee, they taste absolutely amazing with everything. This time I decided to use some dark chocolate cream cheese frosting. I don’t need to tell you how well coffee and dark chocolate go together. They are absolutely mouth watering-ly delicious.
The cupcakes just out of the oven, cooling on the wire rack. Don’t mind the holes in some of them, thats where I poked them with a toothpick to check if they were done.
All frosted and ready to eat!
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Flour
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 100 grams of Butter
- 1 cup of freshly prepared black filter coffee
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Sprinkles or edible golden beads for decoration
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 200 grams cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups icing suger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 250 gram melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees C and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the four and sugar and salt.
- Melt the butter and combine with the hot filter coffee and mix together and set aside. If you don’t have filter coffee you can use 3 tablespoons of instant coffee powder mixed with a cup of boiling water instead.
- In a separate bowl mix the rest of the ingredients – buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour in the butter and coffee mixture into the flour and sugar bowl and mix to combine.
- Then add in the buttermilk and egg mixture and fold to combine.
- The batter might be runny or liquidy, and thats how its supposed to be. Scoop out equal quantities into the prepared cupcake tray. This makes 12 cupcakes.
- Bake at 180 degree C for 15 to 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean without any batter stuck to it.
- Once baked allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Whisk the room temperature cream cheese and butter till soft and fluffy, with a hand blender or a standing mixer.
- Add vanilla and sugar, and whisk to combine.
- Add melted chocolate slowly and whisk till it reaches desired consistency.
Once the cupcakes are completely cool, frost them however you like. Use sprinkles,chocolate chips or golden beads like I did to decorate. And the coffee cupcakes and now ready to eat! You can serve them immediately to refrigerate them for later. These cupcakes actually taste delicious even without the frosting. I always make some extra and leave them without frosting so I can have them as an replacement for my morning coffee on cheat day 😀
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can check out some of my other ones here. Also if you do make this please do send us some pictures on Twitter or tag us on Instagram! so we can see! Please make sure you have signed up for our emails – this a super easy way to keep track of our posts, just put your email ids below. Come say hi on our Twitter – its great for chatting! Till next time!