Lets talk about hair! As long as I can remember I’ve always wanted long glossy heathy hair without any hair loss problem, mostly because my mom had the most beautiful glossy thick hair ever seen on a real person. Honestly it was like the stuff you see in magazines, but only her’s was real. But also partly because I spent most of my childhood with really short boy cut hair. The combination of the two left me with a heathy obsession with growing out my hair and experimenting with different hairstyles.
1. Shampoo & Conditioner : I change up my shampoo and conditioner brands every time I finish a bottle. You must have heard that sometimes your hair ‘gets used to’ the shampoo you’re using and stops working. Well this happens to me all the time. So I change it up. This also means I’ve pretty much tried every single brand of drugstore and salon grade shampoo and conditioner out there. And I can tell you that it always works better when you use the shampoo and conditioner from the same line.
2. Heat Protectant : I love to style my hair. Its naturally slightly wavy but I love curling it in big loose waves. I know it is definitely not good for my hair to overuse styling tools like hair straighteners and curling wands, so I take very precaution I can. I use heat protectant every time, even to blow dry my hair. And I use a serum afterwards. It seems too much work, but I assure you its very important if you’re like me and love experimenting with your hair.
3. Wash your hair only when needed : I try to wash my hair as infrequently as possible. Once in 4 or even 5 days if I can get away with it. And since the invention of dry shampoo, I definitely can! 🙂 I make sure to use conditioner every time I wash my hair, and never ever apply it on my scalp. Only from about halfway down the length of my hair. I also rinse it with cold water for a few seconds before I dry it. Somehow I always end up finishing two bottles of conditioner for every bottle of shampoo, so I guess you could say I use double the amount of conditioner as shampoo.
4. Hair masks and Oils : Once every month without fail I go for a hair spa. Its my me time and I take a book or a magazine with me so I don’t get bored. This is very important if your have chemically treated or colored hair. Also I try to use hair masks and leave in treatments at home every other week. Sometimes I even try out natural homemade hair masks and a hair 360 wigs. One with an egg, olive oil, lemon juice and honey is my go to, and its great for dry hair. Also coconut oil and almond oil are great treatments for hair. I warm the oil in the microwave for 5 seconds before and try to leave it on overnight. If you are not able to leave the oil in your hair overnight, try to at least leave it in for a couple of hours before washing it off as usual.
5. Remove product buildup : Rinsing hair with a half a cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with water really helps to clear up excess build up of product in my hair. And trust me there is build up, even if you think there isn’t. I try to do this atleast once every month, more if I feel the need for it. This usually helps get rid of the residue like texture after using a lot of dry shampoo. Also I’ve heard rinsing your hair with beer makes it shinier, but I’m yet to try that myself. Mostly because there’s never any beer left over 😀
6. Almonds : If you are trying to grow out your hair faster, or looking to make your hair thicker, try soaking a few almonds overnight and then eating them in the morning. I did this during my hair growing out phase and I honestly feel like it worked wonders. Also putting your hair up in a bun and wearing a hat when you’re going out in the sun also goes a long way to protecting it from damage.
7. Less is more : I love changing up the products i use on my hair, I feel like I get better results that way. Also please note that I pretty much curl or straighten my hair every time i wash it so thats why i feel like need to do all of this to combat all the heat styling and keep my hair healthy. If you don’t style your hair that often, then you probably do not need to do all of these steps. Just oiling your hair once a week would be sufficient.
8. Water : This ones a no brainer but I think a lot of people forget to do it. Drink lots and lots of water. Thats the easiest and surest way to good skin and good hair.