You might know that all 3 of us grew up in Calcutta, now called Kolkata. We went to school there, spent most our lives there and go back to visit all the time. If all this time there has taught us anything, it is to appreciate good food. And not just Bengali food, all kinds of different cuisines. Food in Kolkata honestly has no parallel. From street food to fancy restaurants, somehow everything tastes better there. If you think I’m biased, you must go try it for yourself. To make that easier we’ve put together a list of our absolute favorite places to eat in Kolkata. Its not any particular order, they are all equally well loved. In fact I make it a point to visit each and every one of these places every time I go home!
Lemon Tart at Cookie Jar
Here we go:
- Peter Cat – You must try the Chelo Kabab!
- Royal’s – Biriyani with chicken chaap
- Golden Joy in Tangra – For mouth watering Calcutta Chinese!
- Coffee House – For the coffee and mutton cutlets
- Cookie Jar – For the lemon tarts and pretty much everything else
- Mishti doi and rasgullas – No trip to Calcutta is complete without trying these. You will find there are numerous sweet shops all over the city where you can try the world famous mishti doi 🙂
- Nahoum and Sons – For the brownies
- Grub Club – For the momos
- Mocambo – Everything on the menu is pretty great. The cocktails are great too!
- Nizam’s – For the rolls, biriyani and phirni
- One Step Up – For the Chicken Tetrazinni
- Flurys – For breakfast, tea, pastries
- Puchka, churmur and jhalmoori from the street chat walas – you just have to try them!
- Bengali food – You must try some of the local cuisine. Bonus points if you can get some of your Bengali friends to make you some home cooked fare!
Must try Chelo Kababs at Peter Cat
Kosha Mangsho (Spicy Mutton)
These are our absolutely have to go, must eat at places wherever we are in Kolkata. If you ever find yourself in that part of the country, do your taste buds a favor, print out a copy of this list and go check these places out!
Have you been checking out our Instagram stories? It’s so much fun! We are also on snapchat. Come say hi on our Twitter. You can subscribe for our emails for regular updates very time we post, and do like us on Facebook! Till next time 🙂