I was pretty excited about this one once I saw the pieces that were released as a trailor. And I got very excited once I saw the full collection.
If you are looking for classy, understated, neutrals – this is not for you. If you are looking for major glamour, fantastic texture, jewel toned colours and style, this is it. I decided to pick out the items which are going to be the most popular, most wearable, most ‘Balmain’, split into different themes like the wardrobe staples, party dresses, word outfits and so on. And more importantly, I also picked the items to avoid. But first lets discuss – why should you bother and what is different about this designer collaboration?
There have been a lot of designer collaborations over the past few years. H&M itself has a long history of designer collaborations from Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney to Isabel Marant, and most recently, Alexander Wang. So whats the big deal about this one? This is Balmain. Even with collaborations like Victor & Rolf, Lanvin, Roberto Cavalli, this Balmain collaboration, is definitely the most ambitious one. There aren’t many collaborations with brands like Valentino, Oscar de la Renta and so on – the clothes would be way too elaborate and therefore, too expensive to design and make at a high street price point. This is why this Balmain one is a surprise. And a very pleasant one at that. So take a look.
I have split up the collection into certain different themes which should make it easier to follow.
1. The LBD: I would usually skip a black dress but not this one. This one is just the perfect black dress – neutral enough but just a little interesting.
2. The All Out Party Dresses: The party dresses to put all party dresses to shame. Or shadow. No doubt will be seeing some of these out and about during New Year or Christmas.
Warning: the green dress was worn by Kendall Jenner in one the advertisements for the collection and its going to be very very popular. Be prepared for it to sell out fast.
3. The Best Wardrobe Staples
This collection is usually not the go to one for wardrobe staples but surprisingly, the staples that can be found are pretty fantastic. Love these leather biker trousers and I have my heart set on this leather jacket although I know its going to be very popular – I am keeping my expectations low, that is, zero.
4. The Party Tops Which You Can Wear to the Poshest Place with Torn Jeans And Look Chic
5. The Most Balmain Dress That You Can Still Wear in Real Life
I don’t know where you work but my line of work doesn’t really do Balmain. This top is one of the few I can think of wearing to work. There are some other pieces which are work appropriate but honestly, dont look very Balmain. Or maybe its in my head.
I love this top (its in fuchsia pink as well but this definitely is more work appropriate) and I know it will look amazing with my Marks & Spencer black lace pencil skirt. This is almost hurting me.
8. The Slick Outerwear: I thought this green military coat from the men’s collection was fantastic. I liked the details – matching coloured buttons!
10. The Most Popular Items You Should Already Be In Line For If You Want to Buy: I don’t want to be judgemental guys, but if you had your heart set on any of these items, you should already be in the line. And if you are not, scroll this post for other items you like. You are not going to manage these – sorry. Or maybe scroll down to the bottom of the page for my preparation tips – maybe they could help.
Absolutely loved this one. Perfect colour for this season, slightly vintagy, structured and so so cool!
13. The Bling: Who doesn’t want to look like Cleopatra? Atleast sometimes?14. Shoes Definitely Not Made for Walking: Even I (the self-proclaimed heel queen) could not walk in these but just in case you like a challenge…
15. The Skippables: If you are going through hell fire (or rather a cold wait or sleepless online shopping) for God’s see don’t come back with these!
And last but not the least is the how to prepare part of it. Choose the items you know you absolutely want. Stay up to get your shopping done online – I would never recommend going to the store. Its a mess, you have to sort and waste time to actually find your size. Most importantly, register on the H&M website beforehand with your card, address and other details so you don’t waste time filling in those when shopping. I would also suggest that if you really like an items and cannot find your size buy one up. With most items, you will be able to get it tailored to fit you.
Word of Caution: I have not seen the items – not touched them, not seen them and not smelt them (yes, this is important too!). So if its a very expensive dress and you cannot return it, be prepared that it may not look and feel as luxurious as it looks on screen and in the ads. And lets face it, this is not Balmain. Its Balmain design with H&M quality and only when we see the items we will know how they translate in real life. So try your best and buy it from the H&M store rather than other resellers. And all the best!
I would love to know what everyone ended up with – please send me pictures!