It’s time for another recipe. I’m very excited to share this one in particular, because its a healthy one this time. It also includes some amazingly aromatic spicy tea in it, which takes it to a whole other level. Actually, have you ever wondered why suddenly tea is being called Chai Tea all around the world? Chai means tea in Hindi so its basically calling it tea twice. So when you’re ordering your Chai Tea Latte, you’re actually saying Tea Tea Latte 😛 Its hilarious! I blame Starbucks for this ridiculousness.
Anyways, back to my awesome recipe. Banana bread itself is quite heathy, but these Chai Spice Banana Bread Muffins are not only healthy but also dangerously delicious. Yes, dangerously because sometimes your family may devour one batch (of 12!) in 2 days and then ask you to make a second batch in the same week. True story.
Tales of my muffin eating family members aside, these are really the perfect breakfast muffins. I love to grab one on the go when I’m running late for work and don’t have time to sit and have breakfast. They are inspired by this original recipe, which is also awesome, and I made a few changes of my own. Now I did add some cholotate chips on top because really why the hell not? But also mainly because I love chocolate. But you can totally leave them out if you want a healthier version.
These muffins turned out to be quite large, were very soft and fluffy inside and smelled heavenly. They are freaking amazing! There honestly are no words to describe how awesome your house is going to smell while you bake them. This recipe makes 12 large muffins. If you want to make a batch of 24 just double the quantity of the ingredients and you should be good to go! The trick to making the best banana bread or muffins is to use really ripe bananas. Leave them till they are almost black and then use them.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup (85g) natural yoghurt
- 5 tablespoons (71g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tea bag
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice*
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
*Or substitute with 1 1/2 teaspoons pre-made chai spice mix
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, yoghurt, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract until fully combined
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, add the tea bag and the chai spices. Bring to a boil, and then leave aside to cool. Once cooled remove the tea bag, and add to the banana mixture. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, the flour, baking soda, salt
- Pour the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and fold until just combined. Do not over mix as this will result in dense, chewy muffins.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin and fill each muffin cup ⅔ of the way. Garnish with a few(or a lot) chocolate chips on the top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffins on a cooling rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
And thats it! Super easy and they taste amazing. You have to give them a try. Don’t forget to let me know and send me pictures if you do! As always come say hi on Twitter, we’ll follow you right back 🙂 Check out our Instagram and like our Facebook page! Till next time 🙂