I pretty much woke up one day and decided enough is enough, I need to start wearing makeup. This was maybe 4-5 years ago. So I watched a bunch of youtube videos, stalked the MAC counter at the mall (steered clear of all bold colors, especially Ruby Woo), tried all the drugstore stuff, and generally did as much “research” as I could. Basically what every teenager does in a mall, only I was around 27. Ya I was embarrassed for me too.
I had never worn lipstick till that point and I was obsessed with the bronzed skin, smokey eyes and the nude lip look. I pretty much tried every nude lipstick MAC has till I found the perfect one for me. And trust me, MAC has a lot of nudes. So once I found my perfect nude (which is MAC Velvet Teddy, if you’re interested), I pretty much wore it every single day and didn’t bother with any other color. In my head that was the only lipstick I’d ever wear. If you’ve read this post I wrote, you’re probably rolling on the floor laughing right now. Ya coming to that.
I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to wear a bright red lip, so I never understood Anisha’s obsession with MAC Ruby Woo. We’ve been friends since we were kids, and I remember her always complaining about not being able to tan. Since I had to spent 4 hours in an outdoor pool everyday and was just trying everything under the sun not to tan or turn into a prune, it just sounded ridiculous to me. She’s always been very fair skinned. I love her but honesty I don’t think I’ll ever run out of pale undead vampire jokes to crack 😀
My point here being, a color that looked that good on her would never work on me right? Wrong! Once she convinced me to try Ruby Woo I just had to get one for myself. Which wasn’t easy since for some reason its always sold out. I don’t know how, even though we have very different coloring that red just works! I have other red lipsticks but Ruby Woo is the only one I always end up wearing. So if you are thinking about getting a red lipstick, no matter what your skin tone is just get Ruby Woo.
Here are some general tips for the best possible results with red lipstick:
- I personally don’t wear a lipliner with it (mostly because I’m lazy), but MAC Cherry is the one you should get if you want to pair it with Ruby Woo.
- I clean up the edges with concealer. This is completely optional but makes a lot of difference. If you want that flawlessly applied look with sharp edges then just use concealer with a tiny brush and clean up around your lips and make sure to blend it out.
- Take a straw or use your finger to get the excess product off from the centre of your pursed lips. This will stop it from getting on your teeth.
- Apply once, blot with a tissue, and then reapply. This will ensure your lipstick is going nowhere the whole day/night.
- Ruby Woo in general doesn’t fade from my lips even if I’m eating or drinking, its completely matte and hence slightly drying so I use a lip balm before applying it.
- Apply the lip balm then do the rest of your makeup and just before you wear the lipstick just wipe off the lip balm gently and then apply the lipstick as usual. This wont mess with the color, and will make sure the lipstick doesn’t dry out your lips!
Hope these help and do let me know if you a fellow Ruby Woo enthusiast. Get all our posts first directly in your inbox, subscribe on the main blog page. Please come say hi on our Twitter, we’ll follow you right back 🙂 Check out our Instagram and like our Facebook page. Till next time 🙂