My typical workday consists of waking up, getting ready and heading out of the house by 11 am. It never is fixed as to where I have to be. My sourcing takes me all over Mumbai and sometimes in a day I complete shopping and sourcing from four different malls. In between all of this lunch takes place in cafes depending on the area and mood I’m in.
Every morning as soon as I sit in my car the first question I ask my three assistants is where do they want to eat lunch and all three quickly switch on their phones and start hunting places and menus. We try and avoid Mughlai food as I find it quite heavy and not the best option to eat before heading to work. A coffee or a hot cocoa is a must have during the day.
Cappuccino at a meeting.
Cold coffee at The breakfast Club
Salad at Pizza Express in Andheri West.
There are way to many cafes and restaurants all over Mumbai and even though I try my best to eat and try new places I always go back to few of my favourites regularly. Here I have made a list of 5 of my most visited places to eat.
Restaurants in the order of preference:
- Indigo Delicatessen – Yes it’s an expensive place but when the food is so good I don’t mind. Its quite difficult to choose my favourite food since I love almost all their dishes but if I do have to pick one it would be their creamy chicken salad sandwich. The trouble with Indigo is that its always packed and sitting for too long gets difficult.Akshay and I both have zomato gold which now makes things even better. If you subscribe to Zomato gold for a fee and become a member there is a list of restaurants that give you 1 + 1 on food while other restaurants give you 2 + 2 on drinks. The listing is good and I definitely find it very worthwhile.
Grilled chicken at Indigo Deli.
- Woodside Inn – My favourite food here is their chicken caesar salad and fresh mandarin orange juice. Woodside has a lot of plus points. Its near my house, their food is really good, they make great thin crust pizzas and the best part is that the vibe here is really nice. Their outdoor seating is perfect. Its one of those places where you can sit for hours and have a fun time. Of course they have one of the best happy hours with yummy cocktails.
Chocolate and fruit pan cake at Woodside Inn.
Calamari at Woodside Inn.
Grilled chicken with pepper mushroom sauce at Woodside Inn.
- Grandmama’s Cafe – Now their food is good but not as good as how they have decorated the place. Its happy and vibrant and has a lot of my favourite colours and prints. It’s the perfect place for a photo! If I had to eat here it would definitely be their spaghetti aglio olio though I prefer their shakes and hot chocolate more.Now I am very particular about hot chocolate and trust me there are few to die for. Initially Starbucks had a great one which was called The Signature hot chocolate but it seems to have changed lately. My favourites are from Grandmamas cafe and Theobroma. Akshay and I had an amazing breakfast date here and spent quite a few hours just chit chatting and writing. Also I realised that I prefer places which have an outdoor seating place along with an indoor one.
Akshay enjoying his afternoon at Grandmamas Cafe.
Berry dark chocolate at Grandmama’s cafe.
- Smoke House Deli – Another place which has both outdoor and an indoor seating. Their happy hour sangrias are legendary and I have had some of my best times and best food here. Their tomato soup, chicken caesar salad and creme brûlée are few of my favourites. I would go to smoke house for breakfast, brunch and lunch rather than at night. The place gives me a pleasant day vibe.
Basa fish at Smoke House Deli.
Pan cake at Smoke House Deli.
- Suzette Creperie & Cafe – The problem is the size! Its just too tiny. The food and the coffee is exceptional and if we are shooting somewhere nearby Suzette is where our coffee is called from. Mine at least. I prefer crepe as a dessert but after eating a savoury one here I changed my mind. Their ingredients taste fresh and good.
Crepe with avocado, egg and feta cheese.
Pesto pasta at Suzette.
Grilled chicken salad with feta at Suzette.
Well these are just few of my favourite places to eat. Ill definitely be doing another list soon so stay tuned!
Thank you to Dhanya for some of these amazing pictures!
We have a new video up on youtube! Isn’t that exciting? Have you checked out our Instagram stories? It’s so much fun! We are also on snapchat. Come say hi to us on our Twitter. You can subscribe for our emails for regular updates every time we post, and do like us on Facebook! Till next time.