I realise I am probably quite late with this post. I mean summer is already almost over. But two things: everyone with really amazing skin says they dedicatedly use sun protection products all the time and all the time doesn’t mean only in peak summer. Shocking but apparently we should be using sunscreen even in winter. And fall. And spring.
I am very sensitive to the sun – I burn very easily. So after an extensive (and expensive) trial and error process, this is my list of 5 products for the best sun protection. Note these are not all sunscreen – some of these are makeup with sun protection in it. Well, these are the ones that best do their job.
1. Lotus Safe Sun UV Screen SPF 50+ Matte Gel: You know what they say? The best sunscreen is the one you can actually bear to wear. Hot sweaty summer days + greasy sunscreen – did you shut off your computer already? Now try hot sweaty summer days + a light, cooling, gel – doesn’t that sound much better?
2. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Anti-Shine SPF 50+: This is completely matte and completely dry. That sounds amazing in this heat but you will need a little bit of serum or facial oil before you put this on. I have been using this in India as well as in London and it definitely is great sun protection.
3. Dermalogica Pure Light Power Bright SPF 50: You know how everything that is good is really expensive? Yeah, case in point. This is some absurd price of 55 bucks but its so good! I wore it under serum and foundation to work for a year or so. I walk to work and walk back so this is definitely good stuff. But full disclosure: its is not shine free but once you layer other products over it, the shine isn’t a problem anymore. I have finished my bottle and in all honesty, I cannot afford to make another purchase. But if you have had no luck with sunscreen and are willing to spend more, go for this.
4. Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35: This is basically your sunscreen and foundation rolled into one. Perfect for a hot day.
5. Frezyderm Second Skin Sunscreen with New Velvet Technology SPF 50+: I was sent this as a sample to test. You know its going to be a fantastic product when they tell you: write about it if you like it. This is like a sunscreen primer. It is pretty amazing on both counts – as a primer and as a sunscreen. I have the worst time with eyeliner which doesn’t stay put but strangely when I am wearing this I don’t have an issue. Its a super light fluid and not really greasy but smoothes on easily. I wear it on its own but if I am out in the sun the whole day I layer it with the La Roche Posay sunscreen and its a shield! Yup – I will be buying this again.