*This post includes sample items*
Ok, I will admit it. These are not really zero waste swaps. I don’t actually think there is anything in this world that’s zero waste but it has a nice ring to it, I can’t lie. Basically these are swaps for a better environment and perfect if you are starting your zero waste journey. These are super duper easy for anyone to do and makes almost no difference to your life so please give them a try. And please ignore the hair issues I seem to be having in the pictures – the wind in London totally messed up my hair and made me look crazier than I am!
- The easiest pisiest one: move away from Google and Safari and get Ecosia. Ecosia is a environmental friendly search engine. There is no catch – its literally does that exact same thing your Google search engine does. Actually its does not – its gives you more privacy and plants trees. Is there anything you can argue against this? (I mean yes, you can but please take a look at the video to learn more and make your informed decision).
Ecosia can be installed in less then a minute.
2. This sounds too good to be true – it did to me till I tried them. Comfy, recycled, sustainable tights that don’t tear up easily. I had some tights sent to me by the Legwear Company and I’ll be honest, I rolled my eyes a bit when I heard it said they were sustainable tights. I mean everything and their mother is now sustainable, right? But they stack up.
- Their tights last longer. I have been wearing them almost everyday for about a month and a half or so now and have had no issues at all.
- All packaging the tights came in was plastic free.
- Their 50 denier tights are made of recycled yarn. When I emailed them to ask about the others they were frank enough to tell me they have stock to work through and will be moving to 100% recycled yarn.
- They even recycle your old torn tights!
So switch to the Legwear Company – you can choose a one-time purchase or a subscription service and order in less than a minute. They sent me 3 pairs of tights to try on but I will be purchasing myself once I have exhausted my current stack of tights. And I am one of those snobs who wears Wolford tights usually. I got Wolford at a sample sale and couldn’t go back to Boots. But if there are tights made of recycled yarns available, that stay up and are just as comfortable I am there.
3. We just switched our energy to a energy company, Octopus which uses renewable energy. There are a number of energy company to choose from so of course please check them all out and see what works best for you. My search led me to Octopus since we need both gas and electricity and this is the only provider than has ethical gas. You can use this link to get a £50 discount (and I get a discount too!).
4. You hardly need me to tell you this but switch to a proper mug for God’s sake guys. I have been using my Starbucks metal flask for the last 6 or so years now (and almost cried last week when I thought I lost it). Apart from the environmental aspect, you get a discount on almost every coffee shop and the thought of hot coffee and plastic makes me shudder so definitely a better option to get a metal reusable mug. (The paper mugs you get in coffee shops have a plastic film and therefore, not recyclable!)
But I need to say two things here: Please don’t go out and buy a new mug, use one you already have. And if you have to, make sure you research before you spring for one. For instance, the Keep Cup is super popular but I am not a fan since it leaks and doesn’t keep my coffee hot. DJ got one and doesn’t use it anymore since it leaks.
5. You know I am going to tell you to swap and plastic bag for a cloth bag right? I carry one to work everyday in case I need to do some food shopping on my way back from Borough Market or need to carry my laptop home. It works for both. I also carry a cloth bag when travelling – its super useful for last minute shopping and somehow most airlines don’t create that much of an issue over a cloth bag as they would over a extra bag even if they were the same size!
I hope you are enjoying all the posts after our new blog appearance this year. Some positive reinforcement would be great so leave me some comments. Would love to read some comments or anything you have to say so comment on this post or on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.